Reposted from: Barrio Neuvo
(TORONTO) – The WE ARE JOSE TOUR is a campaign to reverse the deportation of 13 year Langley BC resident, Jose Figueroa.
On March 18th Jose Figueroa and his 14-year-old son departed from Vancouver on a cross Canada bus tour. They have had warm receptions in other Canadian cities along the way. The “tour” will stop over in Toronto and area on the way to Ottawa where Jose plans to deliver petitions asking for an exemption.
The tour aims to raise awareness of the problems in immigration law that has led to a wrongful deportation order against him. Many refugees face difficulties because of vague and unfair policies of the Canadian Border Services Agency. Jose Figueroa has been labeled a terrorist because of past affiliations with the FMLN, which is the current ruling body in El Salvador.
The Canadian government’s decision to deport José has serious implications not only for José and his family but for all refugees to Canada who have fought for democracy and against oppressive and violent regimes in their home countries.
Jose Figueroa, B.C. Resident and father facing deportation
Jose Ivan Figueroa, 14 year old Canadian son
Local and Federal politicians, Padre Hernan Astudillo and supporters
Friday March 25 (6:15pm) – Arriving in Toronto, via Greyhound Bus 5230 from Regina
Sunday March 27 (2:30pm) – Media event San Lorenzo Church, 22 Wenderly Drive
Jose Figueroa in the news
- CTV-Community Rallies to Keep Jose Figueroa in BC
- CTV-Refugee Claimant ordered out after living in Canada for years
- Langley father of three in final fight to stay in Canada
- Montreal Gazette -Director, actor Martin Sheen, add voices against deportation
- CTV-Support Floods in from Across Canada for Figueroa
- CTV -Deportees Autistic son pleads for intervention
- CBC-The National coverage of Jose Figueroa
- Langley Times, September 28th: Langley father of three in final fight to stay in Canada
- CBC news article
For information or to arrange and interview please contact: